- This topic is empty.
- November 27, 2020 at 12:06 am #3563Amy FulksGuest
African Art in Motion
by Robert Farris Thompson
- Release date: November 28, 1979
- Language: english
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Genres: art, africa
- Format: paperback, 276 pages
- ISBN: 9780520038448 (0520038444)
- Author: Robert Farris Thompson
About The Book
Author Robert Farris Thompson provides entirely fresh and enlightening perspectives on the interrelationship of the arts and on the cultural role and meaning of art in traditional African societies. Textiles, sculptures, masks, costumes, and a variety of implements and musical instruments are lavishly illustrated and interpreted from the aesthetic that in Africa, ‘icon’ and ‘act’ are one, that African art can best be understood in the context of dance.
The work is divided into three sections:
(1) a list of highly abstract concepts such as ‘ephebism’ and ‘coolness’ which Thompson contends underlie African aesthetics;
(2) an extended analysis of the significance of sculptures standing, sitting, riding, kneeling, supporting, and balancing; and
(3) descriptions of six different dance events combining masks, poetry, music, and religious ritual, and their effects on their audiences.
Representing scholarship and writing at its best, the work is a major contribution to the study of the arts as they are conceived, combined, and criticized by Africans.
Hardback book African Art in Motion by Robert Farris Thompson buy on Dymocks. FictionBook ebook African Art in Motion Kindle. EPUB African Art in Motion Robert Farris Thompson read on Powells.
MOBI book African Art in Motion download on PC. FB2 African Art in Motion Robert Farris Thompson on Kobo. MP3 ebook African Art in Motion buy cheap for Android.
Hardcover ebook African Art in Motion by Robert Farris Thompson download iPhone on Walmart. Online book African Art in Motion read online. Paperback African Art in Motion read on iPad.